Thursday, January 18, 2007

Visa is a Liar

Visa has been running this commercial a lot lately. And it annoys me to no end. I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but the new trend of using your check-card for everything is a pet-peeve of mine.

Check-cards have made some transactions quicker, no doubt about it. And they have made checks virtually obsolete. No longer must we wait in line at a grocery store while someone balances their checkbook instead of bagging their groceries. But to insinuate that check-cards are faster than cash is just silly.

How many times have you been out with a group of friends for dinner or drinks, you get the check and 7 people throw check-cards down. Not a problem if the bill can be split evenly. But that doesn’t work when I order the fillet mignon and someone else just has drinks. So the poor waitperson has to try to keep 7 different portions separate and run 7 different cards through. Inevitably there is a mistake and a second or third trip is required. This is not a very efficient process.

The pervasive use of check-cards also has an untoward effect on the hospitality industry. If a patron tips on their check-card, a paper trail prevents servers from deciding how much of their tips they are going to claim. I’m not advocating tax dodging, I only point this out to say that you tip isn’t worth as much when you put it on your card. And how do you tip valets or sky-caps with check cards?

With the ubiquitousness of ATMs is it really that hard to keep a little cash in your pocket? If you are heading out for a night, is it that inconvenient to stop at a cash machine? On behalf of hospitality workers everywhere, I ask that everyone make an effort to carry a little cash with them. Besides if you try it, you just might like it.

Personally, I like keeping a little bit of green in my pocket. It makes my life easier. And I will continue to carry cash (in addition to my check-card) until the neighborhood kids’ lemonade stand takes Visa.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1/19/2007 11:01 AM, Blogger Pacifist Viking said...

That commercial always annoys me to. I scream at the TV, "It's not slow to use cash! It's often faster than a card!" In a checkout line, I'm always happier to see the person in front of me pull out cash because I know there will be little to no hassle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine