Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Bush, Morneau, KG, and Samuel L. Jackson Walk Into A Bar

There are a couple of things I need to get out…

First, there are new reports out about the Bush administration’s use of domestic surveillance. It appears that “Big Brother” didn’t stop at wiretapping. Maybe I was naïve, but I never gave much thought to the possibility that a modern American government could/would go all 1984 on us. I carelessly dismissed those who expressed paranoid fear of “the man.” Boy was I wrong. This administration has treated accusations of civil rights abuse like most people treat parking tickets. There is always some excuse, and they haven’t changed their behavior.

With Rumsfield’s exit, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales moves to the top of my list of people I want out of authority. I’m not saying there aren’t some valid and enticing aspects of his unwavering “for American security” shtick. I freely admit that I allowed myself to go down that ideological road for a long time; but once Bush tapped the phones it all changed. Because in my mind, what’s the point of protecting the physical integrity of the United States if we allow social freedoms to be eroded that far?

Domestic Surveillance: Who’s eyes are watching you?

On a lighter note…

Canada native Justin Morneau, of the Minnesota Twins, was named MVP of the American League yesterday. Awesome. The Yankees’ Derek Jeter finished second. Double awesome. Finally, I have a reason to respect baseball sportswriters again. Like any good Twins fan, I hate the Yankees. It stems from Minnesota’s inferiority complex, I’ll admit that. But nevertheless, when a small market hero beats out the mega-star it makes me smile. Both players put together MVP-caliber years, but the Yankees would have faired much better without Jeter than the Twins would have without Morneau. And that’s what the MVP should be all about.

Third, It pains me to say it. But I think Bill Simmons is right. Kevin Garnett deserves the chance to play for a winner. He’s trapped by his own loyalty. Too bad the Wolves can’t find a way to keep from tripping over them selves. *Sigh* what could have been.

And finally, because I’m addicted to YouTube, and I’m on a sports-kick right now… Chris Chelios reflects on his junior days where he was coached by Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction) Enjoy: (Warning: Not work friendly)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11/24/2006 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. That is an awesome video.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine