Thursday, December 21, 2006

Glenn Beck & Virgil Goode: Your Stupidity Astounds Us

I’d been meaning to write a post about Glenn Beck’s “interview” with Keith Ellison (D-MN). (See below) I first saw it on the Daily Show with John Stewart. It shocked me. Did Glenn Beck just insinuate that an elected US Representative is working with the terrorists? I thought the political correctness zealots in charge of television news put an end to bigoted, uneducated speech on the air. I guess I was wrong.

Glenn Beck accused Keith Ellison of embodying the worst stereotypes associated with Muslims, and then asked him to disprove his off-base assumptions. Imagine if Mr. Beck interviewed a U.S. soldier. And he said “I know you’re not a blood-thirsty, violent, megalomaniac… but prove it to me.” Can you imagine the public reaction?

Then yesterday, a letter from Virgil Goode’s (R-VA) office was released to the press. In it Goode warns constituents concerned about Rep. Keith Ellison swearing in on the Koran, that if we don’t end illegal immigration “there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran.”

I think some Americans feel uneasy if they don’t have a target for their fear and hate. They lose a sense of self if they can’t define themselves against a group of people. Throughout our history, various groups have filled the “scary villain” role. (Inset your favorite target of hate in the blanks)

We need to stop ___________. If we don’t keep ____________ out of America we will lose our identity, and eventually be forced to adopt _______________’s values and beliefs.

Now, it is Muslims turn as the target of good old-fashioned ignorant American fear. It is scary that so many Americans equate Muslims with terrorists. They fail to make the mental effort to understand either Islam or terrorism. Not bothered by actual thought, they fall back onto old comfortable xenophobia. If it’s different, it must be bad.

It’s a shame that history’s lessons have gotten so dusty.

2 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we talked about how silly it would have been for Ellison to swear on the Bible, given that he isn't bound to an oath he makes on the Bible. Better for the oath to mean something to him, rather than to distant fundies.

But I've been thinking about that whole swearing on the Bible thing. We know that politicians have deliberately broken the vows they make on the Bible in the past, yet God has - at least to my knowledge - yet to strike corrupt pols down. I think he'd be taken a bit more seriously if he started doing that.

I propose that when swearing in, politicians have to put down a deposit. Hit them where they care. Children would do in lieu of cash. They get that deposit back if they behave.

Better yet, the hand that they use to take the oath - THAT should be considered their deposit. Betray the oath and the US Treasury gets to take your hand.

 
At 12/21/2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just watched Keith Ellison's interview with Wolf Blitzer, and he is being really classy about everything in my opinion. He's really even-tempered about all this ridiculousness and didn't even take the bait to say that Virgil Goode is a bigot. I'll say it though- Virgil Goode is a bigot. I won't be relocating to VA anytime soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine