Sunday, March 05, 2006

Who Knew My Colleagues Were So Talented?


I knew they were good… but I didn’t expect the professional quality performances I witnessed. Sometimes, the people in your life surprise you.

On Tuesday night I saw Dave and Blake’s recent creation: 300 Jones. (The trio is filled-out by Blake’s younger, soon-to-be-doctor brother. Two soon-to-be-lawyers and a soon-to-be-doctor = double the groupies.) Unfortunately I missed the first half of the show, but what I saw was more than worth the trip. They got chops.

300 Jones is funky and original with a bitter-sweet pop-y style. They engaged the audience with their newly minted original tracks. And I’m sure there is better yet to come. Rumor has it the trio may all end-up staying in the area. I hope so; I’ve never been friends with a band. They all possess the goods; in fact they take turns on the lead guitar, bass guitar, and drums. 300 Jones is a novelty in an age of copycats.

If you get a chance to see them, you best take it.

And…

Thursday night, I was thoroughly impressed by TORT’s theatrical stylings. And I’m not just being a homer either. These guys are good. I can’t even begin to imagine the amount of time it took to produce “A West Bank Story.”

Lawrence turned in a great performance. He easily hit the pace and inflection of Dean Johnson’s voice, while capturing the Dean’s tell-tale physical mannerisms and salty-sweet attitude. Lawrence’s inner-ham shone brightly as he effortlessly delivered his lines. Bravo Lawrence, Bravo.

Reif, still disappointed about getting beat-out by Luke Wilson for the role of Riche Tenenbaum, went with plan B and took-on the role of “Pro Bono” in “A West Bank Story." He wowed the crowd by deftly lifting the entire cast over his head for the finale. Is there anything he can’t do?

The music was really good. So good, it was as if Gates was preordained to become the TORT musical director. He conducted a talented and hastily assembled motley crew of musicians. I thought Andrea and Matthew did an especially great job. (Violin and guitar/bass clarinet respectively) Gates performed like he was leading a keg-beer-fueled sing-a-long at the Gamma house. Which you understand is a compliment, if you’ve ever been a part of one. And Gates pulled double-duty, breaking-out his unbeatable Brad Clary / Jimmy Stewart impersonation. Thanks for playing us a few songs, piano man.

And my former roommate Mr. PW stopped the show playing the hapless law student “Mr. Dumas.” Two and half years of method acting research really paid-off. PW’s performance drew the biggest laughs of the night. It was a great comedic moment; every law student can relate to feeling “shitty” a time or two. And PW’s singing, dancing, and all round showmanship was fun to watch. A crazy-cool performance indeed.

Chief Justice Russell A. Anderson of the Minnesota Supreme Count made a cameo appearance. It was comforting to hear the Chief Justice mispronounce “debacle.” (He said “DEB-a-cle”) If the Chief Justice can make a mistake and laugh about it, then I know I should be able to as well.

I really should be working on my bar application, or staring one of my term papers. But it was necessary to recognize the substantial talents of my classmates. Twice this last week I felt both proud and jealous. I was proud of my classmates’ artistic accomplishments, and jealous of their talent. And I am truly envious of their risk-taking performances. Great work my friends.

Bonus random weekend thoughts:

#1. SportsInteraction.com lists Justin Morneau as 67-1 long-shot for the 2006 MLB Homerun King. I wonder who/when was the last Twin to even make this list?

#2. Has anyone else seen Cash Cab on the Discovery Channel?

#3. Saturday, Phil Mickelson hit a shot into the gallery at Doral. The ball hit a fan’s watch, breaking it, and bounced onto the green. Phil walked over to the fan and handed him a couple of crumpled $100 bills.

If you’re tired of hearing about ungrateful professional athletes, watch a golf tournament sometime. You will see humility, graciousness, and honor. Golfers do not taunt each other and are paid in direct proportion to their performance. Refreshing

3 Comments:

At 3/06/2006 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good thoughts, buddy. Glad you enjoyed the show.

 
At 3/07/2006 7:00 AM, Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

It was a great show, and everyone involved did a bang-up job. Just for the record, I really thought you were going to drop Laura. But like a champ you held-on.

 
At 3/07/2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Although I was only a minor, minor part (one whole singing line in Act II), I am going to take your "everyone involved did a bang-up job" literally.

I completely agree that PW's performance stole the show. And Reif's dancing will be missed next year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine