Monday, February 20, 2006

On a Mission From God...

Yesterday, (most of) the band got back to together. Min, Tam, Dar-c, An-e, Linds, Rach, Ange, and I, all sat at the same table. It was really good to see everyone again. Connecting with old friends dusts-off old memories and feeds your current curiosities.

Congrats to Dar-c, and Tam on their recent engagements. I’m very happy for both of you and wish you and your fiancés the best. Any chance you’ll have the weddings in the Twin Cities? I know that my opinions won’t matter, but I just thought I would lobby for it anyway.

With only a couple of hours together, I didn’t get a chance to catch up with everyone as much I would have liked too. And I regret not getting more pictures for this post. I’m just glad that everyone is generally healthy, generally happy, and living interesting lives.

Sunday was as close to a “band reunion” as I will probably ever experience. While it is always good to reconnect, sometimes ego issues get in the way. Sometimes the drummer and bass player just don’t like each other very much. Maybe they fought over the same girl, or just did not see eye to eye, but something caused a riff. And yet they are unavoidably drawn together because of a common connection.

All band members make their own artistic contribution to the “sound.” And when a band has made great music in the past, people, internally and externally, want more. They want to see the same group they so fondly remember; they want to recapture the magic.

Unfortunately, that is not always possible. Even when everyone involved wants it to happen. “Some words once spoken, can’t be taken back.”

Sometimes bands break-up. But that does not tarnish the memories or the music they made. And whether they like it or not, band members are forever linked; they are bond by their common past.



Long live South Side Solid

4 Comments:

At 2/20/2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark! Nice recap of the day.... I agree it was really great to see everyone this weekend and catch up... I wish we all had more time! I can't help but wonder however, based on the wonderful Pearl Jam reference.... (Gotta love eddie) I hope I never said anything to you, or to anyone for that matter that may have hurt or offended, or caused bitterness or frustration. Sometimes I think I walk around on cloud nine, trying to see good, and as gramps would say, a bit naive... I really don't even know if I have. At any rate, if I have, let me know. Life's too short and I love you all! I can't wait for the next time...

 
At 2/20/2006 3:06 PM, Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

No Angela, I didn't mean for it to be accusitory.

It was great to see you. Stop by and leave a comment or four from time to time.

 
At 2/20/2006 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every rose has its thorn.
-Poison

Can't we all just get along?
-Rodney King

Live and let die.
-GN'R

(just a few to add to the reunion...wish I could have been there...)

-pfunk

 
At 3/23/2006 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark your writing style completly cracks me up and I totaly caught onto the band reunion comments, genious I tell ya and yes my wedding will be in the twin cities. June 9, 2007!!Get ready!!!
Tammi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine