Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Cap It Off

Today I was fitted for my graduation cap and gown. It is hard to believe that I’m almost done with law school. As the first spring breezes hit my nose and the days lengthen, I face the stampeding reality of the “real world.” Not that the “real world” is anything I fear. But soon I will be leaving the sheltered bubble of academia; I will be giving up the comforts that I have enjoyed for the last 20 years of my life.

No longer will it be acceptable to answer questions by saying “pass.” Soon I will not be able to plead “but I’m a poor student.” Work attendance is not the same as “class attendance.” Dedicating anything less than my full effort to a project may cost a client thousands of dollars, instead of earning me a gentleman’s C.

I never thought I would say it, but I think in some small ways I’m going to miss law school. At times I felt beat-down, suffocated, and utterly distraught. But I’m not dead, and I’ve got a lot of good memories and friendships. And above all, I’ve preserved my own sanity.

Tally-ho my friends, tally-ho.

4 Comments:

At 2/28/2006 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's bittersweet for sure. It's nice to be freed from the shackles of school, but it can be hard to know what to do with yourself. I know you'll do great wherever you end up.

 
At 3/01/2006 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly.
--Pat

 
At 3/01/2006 10:56 AM, Blogger Pooh said...

Let me drop two words which should inspire fear in your heart...

"Bar Exam"

Heh.

 
At 3/01/2006 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The $$ won't be that bad either!! Also, at 5pm you can leave it there until 8am the next morning. Especially on weekends.
Congrats man. Are you and Amber around on Sat? Katie and I will likely be out. Shep

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine