Friday, February 09, 2007

Old School Scents

As a newly minted attorney, without a job yet, I fell like this Old Spice commercial is taunting me. It’s on ESPN, it’s on the major networks, it’s everywhere I turn. Do the executives at Old Spice really expect Old Spice to make a comeback?

Marketing Old Spice to “the more experienced” among us makes sense. I don’t know too many people under the age of 35 who use Old Spice. (Using their deodorant is one thing, splashing on Old Spice cologne is another.) My dad used to use it, but even he has moved-on to other scents.

I’m sure there are plenty of life-long Old Spice users out there who will never wear a different cologne. But can the marketing department really expect members of the Axe / Tag / Metro-sexual generation to start wearing a musky scent? Seems unlikely.

I don’t seek reader input very often, but I would appreciate it if you would post a comment and give me your opinion on Old Spice. Men: Your age and if you use it. Women: Do you like the smell of it?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2/09/2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Does it smell like old, "experienced" sailors? Because if so, then I love it.

 
At 2/09/2007 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really good run of ads and Old Spice are at least facing up to what they have been lumped with: the tag of being an old man's aftershave.

Faced with this, their approach seems to be "Yes, but Hugh Hefner is an old man. Sean Connery is an old man. Ricardo Montalban is an old man. And they are all awesome."

And to be honest, it is working. I scoffed at their other ad campaigns, but I'd say I'm a little more likely to slap on some Spice after seeing those ads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine