Friday, September 30, 2005

What is the price of time?


Shout, shout, let it all out...  Posted by Picasa

Few social situations can produce a hidden rage within me the way having to stand in a check-out line behind frugal senior citizens can. I’m sorry, but one of these days I swear I’m going to snap. The voices inside my head just want to scream-out: “HERE IS SEVENTEEN CENTS. NOW PLEASE STOP ARGUING WITH THE CHASIER AND GET OUT OF THE WAY.”

If an elder has difficulty with some of the new check-out technologies, I can understand. There will come a time when I will have those same problems… and will require the patience of those around me. But I will NEVER be one of those penny-pinching, crabby complainers. You know the kind, the type of person who insists upon having the clerk honor an expired ten cent coupon.

Now I can appreciate that some people are not as fortunate as others, and that situation is a different story. And it is completely understandable to clip coupons. (I should really do it more.) If a person wants to spend four hours trying to talk-down a car salesman, ain’t going to bother me. (I don’t expect to buy a car when I’m in a hurry.)

But when I’m in line at a convenience store…why am I paying $3 for a marginal sandwich again? …Because of the CONVENIENCE. It’s quick. I’m in I’m out, it’s lunch. Most people do not overpay for sandwiches unless they are in a hurry, I am no different.

It causes me physical pain if I have to stand in a convenience store check-out line behind a well shod senior citizen arguing out of principle over a fifteen cent difference between a donut and a muffin. The whole scene is made possible through their complete lack of awareness. I just don’t get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine