Monday, November 14, 2005

Ritualistic Changes


Mental decompression chamber  Posted by Picasa

I hunt tourist style. For the last two years I’ve been lucky enough to tag along on Joe’s annual hunting trip. His dad maintains a hunter’s paradise in Minnesota’s great northwoods. He could charge hundreds of dollars for the privilege, but it is clear he doesn't do it for money. He built it for his family and friends to share.

The camp is situated on 40+ acres of heavily wooded land near Eveleth. Lots of birch grow among the various pines. The “shack” has three rooms: kitchen, den, and bunkroom. It’s more than you would expect, but like any good hunting shack it isn’t too fancy. And the best part… there is a detached sauna house. I felt guilty going to bed clean each night; you’re supposed to smell locker-room fresh after a day of hunting.

More than anything I enjoy the solitude and relaxation that deer hunting provides. When I’m out in the woods for hours at a time I can’t help but do some deep thinking. I get the opportunity to take stock and reflect about my life. It's my kind of mental therapy.

I also spent time thinking about the politics of deer hunting. Hunting interests have always been synonymous with the NRA. And the NRA has always been synonymous with the republican platform. But I foresee a paradigm shift.

It seems the NRA and the republican party are abandoning what is left of their weak conservation message. The administration and NRA have worked hard to maintain the right to own a gun, but have done little to protect and expand public hunting lands. The NRA appears to have almost ignored the issue, which is dear to hunting traditionalists. What good is a gun if you can’t use it?

Hunting licences are getting more expensive, as states look to increase revenues in the face of a slowed economy and reduced federal aid. (Neither are directly Bush's fault, but he has become the target for redirected anger.) Hunting enthusiasts, as a group, are dealing with the same class issues the country is as a whole. And Bush is losing approval from just about every cross section of the nation. The situation is ripe for dynamic political change.

* Bonus random thoughts:

+ I can’t wait to see Syrianna, the “oil movie” with George Clooney and Matt Damon.

+ Fantasy football thought of the week: I can’t believe I got beat by a guy named Samkon Gado.

+ I have mixed feelings about the idea of waking up to snow tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine