Sunday, October 30, 2005

Vandelay Days


Be careful not to flag-guard.  Posted by Picasa

Sadly, my flag football career may be over. Tonight, Vandelay Industries suffered a 14-13 loss to an under-manned undergraduate team. For those who don’t know, Vandelay Industries is made up of 15 rag-tag, weekend warrior law students. We are all too competitive for our own good, but what do you expect from a bunch of type-A personalities.

Thanks to Mr. PW for making it happen, I’m pretty sure that the rest of us on the team would have been too lazy to put it all together and deal with the intramural office. Thanks to Vellon and PW for designing and ordering our dead-sexy uniforms. It’s shame that we only had a total attendance of 18 for three years, the shirts were hot. Thanks to Mrs. Reszetar, the Most Valuable Fan, she accounted for at least half the attendance and spent numerous hours treating her husband’s various injuries.

Everyone’s dad has one or two subjects / stories that they talk about more than others. For my dad, it was remembrances of his flag football “glory days.” It was one of the few things that my dad told me about his law school days. He would talk about how much fun he had playing, he would provide descriptions of “the guys” he played with and he would talk about plays that had become clouded memories. Once in a while he would point-out judges or politicians that he played with back in the day. It was always interesting to hear a story about a judge’s quarterbacking ability or a state representative’s butter-fingers.

Last but not least, thanks to all my teammates, not to get too sentimental, but you all made my Vandelay days memorable. You all gave me the life long ability to torment my family with stories of my exaggerated flag football prowess. And judging by the character of the individuals who made up the team, someday I will get the opportunity to brag about playing with some pretty big-cheeses. I can already brag about playing with some great guys.

And who knows? Maybe we will dust-off the shirts next year.

2 Comments:

At 10/31/2005 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I would have attended and increased the fan base, but my boyfriend wouldn't let me.

 
At 10/31/2005 3:19 PM, Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

What can I say, you know how I like chaining you up in the basement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine