Friday, October 07, 2005

A Shiny New Ax


"Would you like to buy our extended warranty?" Posted by Picasa

I bought a guitar today. For the last three years I’ve been dinking around with guitars I’ve borrowed or stolen from roommates. It has been a good way to test the waters, low risk hobby try-outs. But now I’m an owner. And I couldn’t be happier.

For about half the cost of a semester’s trip to the bookstore, I’ve got myself a Yamaha sunburst acoustic guitar. She’s pretty. She sings beautifully, even in my inadequately talented hands. Hopefully she’ll inspire me to continually improve, to become a worthy operator.

More than anything I just want to be able to play well enough to entertain myself. I want it to remain an enjoyable outlet. And maybe if I’m lucky, I’ll get a chance to entertain others. Who knows if/when I’ll ever get to a point where I feel competent enough to play for others, but no mater what: I’m glad I play.

Some people like to end a long day with a night-cap; I prefer a half-hour of guitar time… AND a night-cap. Strumming a guitar is cathartic at the end of a long day of law school. You put the books down and work the other side of the brain for a while. The creative side of the brain that is partially loboto-sized by the process of legal education.

Besides someday I may be able to pass the guitar on to someone younger. I may no longer have any hope of turning the county as a rock-star, but I would love to be able to give that chance to someone else. If I am able to do that, who knows, maybe someday I’ll find my name in the liner notes of an album.

But I digress, and I have already wasted enough guitar time banging away on this keyboard. Time to play.

2 Comments:

At 10/07/2005 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should learn the Bananas song. "I bought the wrong ba-na-naaaaas!"

 
At 10/10/2005 3:25 PM, Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar said...

Wicked kewl. Added ya. They give you folks a fall break?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine