Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hole-In-One!

I made a hole-in-one on May 21, 2007. It happened on Number 4 at Spring Hill, a down hill Par 3. It measured 168 yards. Because it was a gusty day I decided to hit a knock-down 6-iron instead of a 7-iron.

I stepped-up made a good swing, catching the ball just as I’d hoped. It was headed right for the pin, thinking I had hit it too hard I started yelling at it to “get down.” The ball landed softly on the green… and then disappeared.

Neither Joe nor I were 100% sure what we had just seen… or hadn’t seen.

I made my way down to the hole and nervously peered over the lip… and saw my golf ball sitting snuggly in the bottom of the cup. Ace! My heart was racing for the remainder of the round.

After the first 4 holes I was 3 shots under par. I was playing well, but knew it was going to be difficult to finish the round with a good score. I tried to settle my nerves and quell my inner-doubts… this was going to be my best chance to shoot below 80. (Which I had never done before at Spring Hill)

Front 9: Birdie, Par, Par, Ace, Bogey, Par, Birdie, Par, Bogey (34, two under par)

Back 9: Bogey, Par, Par, Bogey, Par, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey, Double Bogey (43, seven over par)

77! Tying my career best, and my lowest score ever at Spring Hill. I couldn’t be happier.

Just in case you were wondering… the odds of an amateur golfer making a hole-in-one: 1 in 12,750. And with my swing… the odds must have been much longer.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5/22/2007 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

My grandad waited until he was in his 70s before his first hole in one. You're ahead of the game.

 
At 5/22/2007 7:06 PM, Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

Thanks, I think my heart is still racing.

 
At 6/20/2007 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're good in the game. I still can't make it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine