Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Nice Day for a White Wedding

Last weekend Paula and Joe tied the knot. By every measure it was a smashing success. Despite the torrential snowfalls, everyone was able to make it… eventually.

Paula’s maid of honor and her husband were forced to spend a night in Eau Claire after their car spun-out into a ditch along I-94. Sounded like a pretty hairy situation, they were lucky no other vehicles were nearby. They waited about an hour for the tow-truck, but all things considered it could have been much worse. Blowing and drifting snow covered the roads Thursday night, but by Friday they were mostly clear.

The groom’s dinner was at the Local. We were the first group to use a new private party room just off the main bar area. It was a sweet location for a rehearsal dinner. Low, arched ceilings and dim back lighting created an intimate wine cellar atmosphere. Everyone had some delicious and filling heavy hors d'oeuvres (stuffed mushrooms, kabobs, finger sandwiches and delicious brownies to name a few.) I was very impressed.

The service itself went-off without a hitch. There were some minor disturbances, but nothing that could be said to have spoiled the beautiful ceremony. Even Lucy behaved herself. As Paula said to her after the ceremony, “You were good during the service Lucy. Good, not great, I’ll give you a B+.”

There were a number of refreshing aspects of the wedding. First, I thought it was great that the ceremony and the reception were at the same place. No one had to run around in between. The service started relatively late (4:30), and yet there was plenty of time for an unrushed dinner and reception.

I also enjoyed the non-traditional photographer. She took more cameo shots, which often turn-out better. A good photographer can capture the true emotion of a moment. There was minimal posing in the group shots, just quick efficient photography.

Finally, because it would have created an awkward set-up in the reception room, Joe and Paula decided to forgo the traditional long head table. All the tables were round. This allowed the significant others of the bridal party to sit with the party.

During my brief speech I took the opportunity to needle Joe and Paula a little bit, as well as the Green Bay Packer fans in attendance. (I would guess there was close to a 50/50 split.) I was happy with the response I got from the crowd. I avoided swearing or using hookers in a joke. It went well if I do say so myself.

There was lots of alcohol and dancing. I was a party animal until about 11:15 when the Champagne, Gin and beer all seemed to take effect at the same time. Amber and I lasted until midnight, and left about 5 minutes after Paula and Joe did.

It was a long day: Long on laughs, long on smiles, and long on love. Congrats Joe and Paula.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine