Thursday, June 29, 2006

Living Dangerously with Mason Jennings

Today after work I was on a mission. The work was illegal, and if I got caught… well… let’s just say I didn’t plan on getting caught. This mission was important to me, and I would not be deterred.

I was set to cross the state-line, cross-over into the land of cheese and full-throttle pyrotechnics to secure premium fireworks for the weekend. And I was excited. For a self-admitted pyro, a trip to a fireworks store is better than Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Spring Break combined.

And while I fantasized about being an ole’ time-y bootlegger, Mason Jennings’ new album “Boneclouds” kept me entertained. Boneclouds represents a marked evolution for Jennings. A positive evolution, similar in many respects The Red Hot Chill Peppers transition to “Californication” style.

Mason is still the same solid songwriter: brilliant lyrics, catchy riffs, and soulful performance. This time around Mason turns to his razor-sharp perception and trains his refreshing wit on: long-term love, fatherhood, and religion. While Boneclouds contains more mature subject mater than past albums, it shares the same beautiful and understated song craft that has made Mason Jennings one of my favorites.

I cannot recommend it enough.

It will be in my play-list for a long time.

1 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 9:20 PM, Blogger Roonie said...

Hey, thanks for that review. I was wondering if I should buy it; I own three of his other albums. I think I just will purchase it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine