Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Don't Hate Dogs... Really

Anyone who has lived with me (or heard me rant about my neighbors) knows how I feel about the dogs next door. (There are at least two, but I’ve counted as many as five at one time in a small Minneapolis backyard) For the benefit of those who don’t know, the dogs have a nasty habit of incessantly barking every time they are let out. It doesn’t mater what time of the day, sometimes they wake me as early as 7 am on the weekends. Anytime I walk from my garage to my door, the dogs run full speed to the fence and bark at me like I killed their mothers.

Now, I’ve entertained numerous schemes to rid myself of my four-legged problem. But I’m a typical passive aggressive Minnesotan when it comes to these types of situations. And I know too many people (friends and family) who love dogs who would disown me or question our relationship if I did anything too drastic.

On top of it all, my neighbors are not your ordinary dog owners. They take rescued dogs in on a revolving basis, sort of “dog foster parents.” Their “big-hearts” put me in a bit of a dilemma. How do you make a stink about something so noble? I would feel terrible playing the role of neighborhood Scrooge. Even worse, I would have to fight this battle alone. The rest of my neighbors have do not appear to mind, they are all getting their own dogs, which has only increased the barking.

I know I can’t blame the dogs for being dogs. Typically, a dog’s poor behavior is a reflection of their owners’ lack of care and concern. Owners who fail to discipline their dogs are no different than parents who fail to control their children. Those who do not take the time or put forth the effort to properly train their dogs, do a disservice to their pets. Poorly trained dogs grow-up with anti-social tendencies, tendencies that could ultimately cost them their lives.

So while I laud my neighbors for taking on the difficult task of rescuing dogs that have been neglected by their previous owners, I cringe at the fact that I have to deal with the negative externalities of their decision. It wouldn’t be so bad if the negative aspects were off-set by some sort of positive pay-off. I’m not asking for my name in lights or the “Worlds most tolerant neighbor award.” But it is utterly frustrating to consistently deal with very vocal dogs, and yet feel completely constrained from saying anything about it.

And now, not even my office is safe from barking dogs: “Take your dog to work day” Is this really a good idea? How much work will a person be able to do if they have to: a) chase their own dog around the office, b) have to continually command their dog to “be quiet,” c) clean-up Foofie’s “accident,” d) separate Cuddles and Spike, or e) deal with their co-worker’s barking dogs all day.

Serenity now!

1 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 2:43 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I think it is ok to gently chat with your neighbors about it... if they are waking you up, let them know. It is all in your attitude. Don't wait, just let them know that you don't want to make a big fuss about it, but that -- especially in the summer with your windows open -- their dogs wake you earlier than you'd like.

Maybe part of the solution is a solid fence so the dogs can't see you??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine