Monday, December 31, 2007

My, My Where Does the Time Go: Or How I Learned to Embrace My New Career

It amazes me how quickly two months can fly-by. Time moves especially swiftly around the holidays. Family commitments, traveling, holiday parities, and year-end busy work crowd the calendar. And this has been an especially frantic season for me, that whole career-thingy takes up a lot of my time.

Overall I cannot complain. I’ve got a great support staff, my official duties take me out of the office 2-4 times a week, I have an incredible amount of autonomy, and an office with a view. All in all, there are very few things I would change. And we all know that no job is perfect.

Today the office was closed, but I came in anyway. No, I’m not trying to kiss-up, none of superiors were in today. No, I’m not a work-a-holic… yet. More than anything, I wanted a chance to be in the office without all the usual distractions. No phone calls, no emails, no questions, and none of the usual day-to-day busy work.

For those of you who do not know me, my dad is an attorney as well. He would routinely head to his office on Sundays after church, and most holidays. As a child I thought my dad was insane… for his unnatural work schedule and many other reasons.

Most of you can relate to the euphoric feeling of being a child with the day, week, or even month off from school. Going to school on a weekend or holiday break? That would take nothing less than a small miracle. As a child I thought my dad was breaking the very laws of nature, so I would constantly question him:

“Dad, why did you go to the office? IT’S Sunday.”

He’d predictably reply, “It’s the only time I can get any work done.”

Now I understand.

(Cue “Cats In the Cradle” – I prefer the Johnny Cash version)


Happy New Year! Have a great 2008.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1/01/2008 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad we never see you anymore.... S

 
At 1/03/2008 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He returns!

Happy New Year man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine