Monday, August 01, 2005

Devil's Food


MMMmmm Devil's Food Posted by Picasa

This evening I caught the season finally of “Hell’s Kitchen.” I’d never seen even a single minute of an episode until tonight. But I was instantly sucked in by the “reality” of being a top chef. This got me thinking…

- I may have stumbled across a fantastic short-cut to cultural literacy. By only watching the final episode of the decent reality shows, I will save myself about 20 hours per show. And yet, because of the tendency to bring back other contestants, I will be able to discuss the goofs, egos, and abilities of most the characters with other reality TV geeks.

- Hell’s Kitchen must have been a huge hit with the service industry demographic.

- During the finally FOX was running promos for a new show called “Kitchen Confidential.” The producers from “Sex and the City” created it: one part beautiful people, one part kitchen. All served in the cinema verite style of “The Office” meets “Taxi.” Looks like Chef is the new Lawyer in TV land.

- Gordon Ramsay is one arrogant prick. I guess that comes with the territory when you’re a world class chef. But wouldn’t that arrogance and feeling of superiority keep you from making a “reality” show? The ego must be bigger than the pride.

- I’m glad Michael beat Ralph. Again, I had not seen a single minute before tonight so I had no favorite going in. Ralph was in your face and boisterous, while Michael worked hard and let his work do the talking. I could appreciate Michael’s approach more.

- Reality TV is everywhere. I would bet that there is a reality show on some channel at every minute of everyday. And if there isn’t, then it is only a mater of time. We are a nation of voyeurs.

- I need to cook more.

- Hell’s Kitchen in downtown Minneapolis is a great special occasion brunch spot. Dinner prices, but the Northwoods Porridge is uniquely perfect and the Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes with fruit are beyond description.

- I’m hungry.

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2005 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fox is one of 2 channels that sorta comes in on my tv right now, so I watched the last 10 minutes or so of Hell's Kitchen. My thoughts? I was going to beg you to let me use your antenna so I can watch other stations and not have to be stuck watching anything that bad again. (Instead I'll have my choice of a variety of crap.)

And we should get some porridge again soon...

 
At 8/08/2005 8:01 AM, Blogger It'sJustMe said...

I saw a commerical last night for an all reality channel. Yep, you guess it -- it's called "Reality TV" and they broadcast reality TV shows 24/7. I Googled it to discover that there are some rerun shows of the more popular reality shows and then a bunch of shows that no one has ever heard of. Can you imagine how many reality junkies will NEVER leave their couches now?

I agree with just watching the finale episodes -- save yourself the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine