Monday, March 28, 2005

Bob Casey, the Soundtrack to the Twins


The Voice of the Twins Posted by Hello

For those who haven't yet heard, the only Twins announcer I have ever known passed away. Bob Casey's voice just fit the Twins. It had a warm welcoming feeling completely at odds with the Metrodome's stale environment. I'll never forget as a kid hearing him belt-out Kirrrrrrrrbeeeeeee-PUCKett; in fact I used to annoy my dad after games trying to imitate the famous call.

Somewhere up there Casey is taking his rightful seat next to Harry Carry (colorman); announcing games between late greats like Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Williams, & Wagner. If you listen closely you can almost hear him. “Now batting, number 42, Jaaaaaaaaaackieeeeeeeee ROBinson.”

2 Comments:

At 3/29/2005 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually got to work in the same office as Casey during a summer internship over the course of 3 summers in high school and college. He loved the fact that I went to Boston College because his son Joe played hockey out there. Case used to tell me all about the BC/BU rivalry, the Combat Zone, and the legend of Mary Ann's, BC's dive bar. Most importantly, Casey gave me some great advice--find a rich girl out there and marry her.
Without fail, when I was bored with work or looking for a break, I could drop by Casey's cubicle--with an old transistor radio often tuned into WCCO when the Twins played away games--and just listen to him tell stories about the ballplayers.
He was a hell of a guy, a fellow Cadet, and the best PA announcer I've ever heard, and I'm going to miss him a lot.

 
At 3/29/2005 9:33 AM, Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

Reif,

What a great guy to be able to sit and listen to for awhile. I can only imagine some of the stories he could relate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine